Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Globalization: a new form?

Dr. Erhard Berner, in one workshop of my Local & Regional Development (LRD) class at the Institute of Social Studies four years ago, asked each of us to present what is the globalization process that we think have the most influence in our world. The discussion was interesting, with most of us mentioned colonialism and technology, and explained how they have shaped and changed our modern world and passed the boundaries.

I recall that inspiring discussion when I think about the aftermath of tsunami and earthquake disaster in Asia – especially in Aceh & Sumatra Utara. I recall it while the world responds to this tragedy. I’ve already amazed and feel appreciate with how Indonesia (people, localities, organizations etc.) react fast and work hand in hand to help. Then now I feel surprise and thankful by actions of the entire world to help, share, and care (And I really mean ENTIRE – many nations, many places, differ economic status..etc. Beyond the boundaries).

The ASEAN Leaders had their Special Summit on 6th January 2005 in Jakarta, which was also attended by Kofi Annan (UN Secretary General), leaders from other victim countries, World Banks’ President, high officials from donor countries and international organizations. (See " Declaration on Action to Strengthen Emergency Relief, Rehabilitation, Reconstruction & Prevention on the Aftermath of Earthquake & Tsunami Disaster of 26 Dec 2004")

Many developed and dialogue partner countries give assistances (fund, experts, medicine, equipments), so do many international organizations. (OK, they really should). Many TNCs and big private company donate. (Well, they made a lot of profit). Jacky Chan, Leonardo DiCaprio, Britpop, Avril Lavigne, Andy Lau, Sting and many stars contribute or will held an aid concert. (Good! But celebrities used to do that, aren’t they?). Michael Sumaccher, NBA Games , etc. (Hey.. interesting, world sport!). WalMart UK. (A supermarket?). North Korea. (Even they have their own problem?). Friendster put a banner for aid. (I thought it only just for fun, apparently now it is not). Cecilia Ramos in Bolivia, in our LRD2K mail-list, shared with me that people there felt deep sympathy and keep following the update news (Thank you for your encouragement and support from the Bolivians!). My dear Ceci Condo in Guayaquil, Equador, prayed for us and said that people in her city are collecting funds and their belongings to help. (Speechless. Touching. I don’t remember exactly where is Guayaguil located in the map; just felt close with it from your stories. Now I feel it is closer here in my heart. Muchas gracias, dear Ceci!).

I wrote a paper as assignment about globalization and nation state (Yes, a ‘paper’ with the theories, arguments, and referencesJ). In my paper, I supported argument that globalization is decreasing the role of nation states, makes localities more important; while nation states is expected to role as intermediate between global and local, and inter-regional organizations are needed as the nation boundaries ‘not exist anymore’.

Now a world natural disaster triggers a global action.
Beyond boundaries.
From local to another local.

I’m thinking to write another paper…But do I have time? J